Friday, February 1, 2008

Fat Chance No.2

A Nevada resident was recently travelling on Delta Airlines when he was forced to endure an uncomfortable flight. He takes up the story. "I was on a Delta Air Lines flight from Philadelphia to Atlanta, and was one of the last people to board the aircraft. When I got to my seat, half of it was missing. Sitting next to me, in the middle seat, was an extremely large woman. So large that she not only took up her own seat, but half of mine. There was no way for her to put the armrest down. She said she hoped there was room for me. A flight attendant suggested that the only way to change my seat was to “find a cute boy or girl” and sit on their lap. Not only did I find this offensive, but also it was distressing.

One of the flight attendants came over and offered the large passenger next to me a seat belt extender. I tried to sit down, but ended up spending half of the flight on this woman’s lap and the other half spilling over into the aisle. I e-mailed Delta after the flight and asked for a refund. I bought one seat, and I didn’t even have half of one. Delta thanked me for the feedback but refused to do anything.I discreetly asked one of the flight attendants if I could buy a seat in first class, and was told that first class was full. I asked if the remainder of the plane was full, and they said that there were no empty seats.

Is this likely to become more common place? Well of course, yes. What is to be done about it? Nothing. Try charging people for more than one seat and we'll have Human rights being screamed from the roof tops. The fact is if God had meant fat people to be prevented from flying he would have made the doors smaller.

4 comments:

Larry Sheldon said...

I found an easy solution.

Stay off of commercial airplanes.

See how simple that is?

Richard Havers said...

Larry, simple's nearly always best....

Anonymous said...

I absolutely believe that people who pay for a seat should be entitled to a whole seat (not half, or 3/4..)


"She said she hoped there was room for me. A flight attendant suggested that the only way to change my seat was to “find a cute boy or girl” and sit on their lap. Not only did I find this offensive, but also it was distressing."

While I can certainly sympathize with the rest of the post I don't understand how this comment could be considered offensive (or distressing). I suspect s/he was trying to lighten the mood in a hopeless situation. There were no other seats on the plane. What could s/he do at that point? Throw the large woman off the airplane?

Anonymous said...

don't charge them for extra seats make the seats bigger DU'hh